Thursday 20 September 2012

New Favorite - Alison Krauss + Union Station

"Tell you little story and it won't take long"

I know I've mentioned this before but Alison Krauss really does have the voice of an angel. Not that I've heard an angel sing mind you, but if I were to then I'm sure it would sound something like this. It would be a bit of a rum deal if you ever were to end up in a place with angels if they all happened to sound like Mark E Smith. I've digressed. But if proof were needed just listen to 'The Lucky One'.

But Alison Krauss' voice is not the only reason to take a listen to this album. It may not be rock but Union Station in full flow is a thing to behold. It really is. Take the instrumental 'Choctaw Hayride' for example; double bass, dobro, banjo and violin working at full pelt. Amazing stuff.

'New Favorite' is a great collection of traditional songs, band originals and covers by other noteable bluegrass and country practitioners.

And whilst the subject matter of the songs might not speak directly to me; tales of crop failure being about a million miles from urban life in the UK, they do evoke images of wide open planes, dusty towns, screen doors and mountain ranges.

Who needs air travel when a quick blast of bluegrass can get the job done in a fraction of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment