Thursday 13 September 2012

Bridge of Spies - T'Pau

Well as this strange project of mine enters its last month I think I have time for one more embarrassing admission. It's not, as you may think, that I own this CD; that in itself could be cause for concern, but that I actually bought a second copy when my cassette became unplayable. But before the jury reach the verdict on whether I've lost all credibility; and god knows that there is already enough damning evidence within these digital pages, please let me state my case...

Well it all stems from the reason I bought the cassette in the first place - way back when it was first released in 1987. Y'see Carol Decker was a hot topic in the corridors of our final days at comprehensive. Here was a full blooded, red haired pop songstress like we had never seen before. And as a bonus she could really belt out the tunes.

So songs were listened to repeatedly, music videos watched and photos studied. 'Heart and Soul', 'Valentine', 'China In Your Hand' and 'Sex Talk' were played and played and played. And played. But then as my first few weeks of Sixth Form started it got played less. Little did I know that there was an alternative to 80s slick pop just around the corner; Morrisey, Marr, Sumner, Hunt and Booth were waiting for me.

And since then I've given 'Bridge of Spies' a wide berth as it became almost synonymous with glossy, over produced 80s pop. I did pick it up from a charity shop a few years ago but it never made it to the CD player. Within moments of hearing the opening synth riff of 'Heart and Soul' I was swept back to '87 and reminded of snow washed jeans, pastel jumpers and Le Shark polos. Tasty.

But you know what, despite my reservations about the album the key tracks on here are actually darn good pop songs. Not subtle, pared back or remotely cool but definitely worthy of a replay. So just once more then?.....

"Something in the moonlight catches my eye
The shadow of a lover goes dancing by
Looking for a little bit of love to grow, so
Give me love, give me heart and soul"....


No comments:

Post a Comment