Wednesday 19 September 2012

On Every Street - Dire Straits

"Calling Elvis, is anybody home?"

I wasn't supposed to like this album, at least according to the Indie-police. When it was released in 1991 I was in full grip of the acceptable face of British alternative music; Jesus Jones, Blur, Happy Mondays, James and the like. Plus of course R.E.M. Dire Straits on the other hand represented to old guard; earnest, solid and well crafted music. The two were not supposed to happily co-exist.

So the release of 'On Every Street', the band's first since the multi-million selling 'Brothers In Arms' presented me with a bit of a dilemma; should I ignore this or, in deference to my musical past, go out and purchase it immediately. Actually the decision was made for me - my dad bought it and sent me a copy to my new abode in Hull.

So I now had the CD but should like it? Now that is was different matter. I was conflicted. I thought I did, especially as the usual Knopfler hallmarks were there; good songwriting, beautiful guitar playing and excellent production. But merely thinking that I did was not enough. I had to be told that it was OK to like it. So I turned to the NME for guidance as usual. They were running a review of the album which was mightily odd for them, but a new Dire Straits album was big news. As expected it didn't get a glowing review but it wasn't mauled either. And the hacks at the NME could really maul something if they wanted to. But then, whilst commenting on the title track, the reviewer said that it had a guitar riff that would "make Johnny Marr green with envy". Or words to that effect. That was enough for me - the NME had, in comparing Knopfler to Marr, made it acceptable to like the album. A rubber stamp of approval.

And I still do like it. Always have. 'Calling Elvis' has some great guitar riffs, 'When It Comes To You' is a fun blues pop song, the lovely 'You And Your Friend', the sombre account of the Battle of Orgreave in 'Iron Hand' and the atmospheric 'Planet of New Orleans'.

And it taught me that, just as you can't re-write history, you can't re-invent your musical upbringing. No matter how much you'd like to!

No comments:

Post a Comment