Wednesday 26 September 2012

Darkness on the Edge of Town - Bruce Springsteen

"On a rattlesnake speedway in the Utah desert. I pick up my money and head back into town. Driving cross the Waynesboro county line. I got the radio on and I'm just killing time"

After years of loving Bruce Springsteen's music I though I'd reached an understanding of his lyrics. I now realise that I didn't - but today have gained a little insight.

We've spent the day travelling west along Colorado I-70 and watched, as the miles ran under our wheels, the landscape change; from mountains through canyons and into desert. Cruising along with very little traffic and no hold ups I really got the sense of the open road. With a full tank of gas anything seemed possible.

'Darkness on the Edge of Town' is another Christmas album - one that I got for Christmas rather than a collection of festive songs. As soon as I heard the opening track 'Badlands' I knew that I just had to pick up my guitar and learn the song. The rest soon followed; 'Racing in the Street', 'Promised Land' and the great title track.

Of all of his records, this one perhaps contains the most references to open highway; invoking images of open road and the part it plays in changing the direction of the lives of the characters in the songs.

We're taking to the open road again tomorrow. Who knows what it will bring or where it will lead us.... well actually we do because the trip has been planned down to the last detail but it was a nice thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment