Friday 3 August 2012

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

I'll say this very quietly, a whisper almost, but this is one of the most over-hyped albums. Now before the music police take me away, lock me up and throw away the key, I'll qualify that statement; it's a good album, great even, but not the best album in the world.

Quite often this tops the greatest albums ever recorded list and, whilst I don't deny it was ground-breaking, it's not as good as some of their other releases. There I've said it. Great but not the greatest.

On a more positive note, the album is full of classic 60s pop music. Just to rattle off a few of the tracks that are on here; 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds', 'Getting Better', 'A Little Help From My Friends', 'Lovely Rita' and the magnificent 'A Day In The Life'. Phew! Not a bad collection and some of the best bass playing ever committed to tape.

The album's only low point is the rag-time knees up of 'When I'm Sixty-Four'. It's just too damn cheery for its own good. I bet Chas and Dave have recorded their own version.

As well as the songwriting, the album broke new ground in recording technology; multi tracked, multi-layered and sequenced to form a continuous piece of music.

And then there is the artwork. Never before had an album been so lavishly designed and packaged; complete with cutout moustaches, badges and other Pepper related paraphernalia.

Putting all these items together, and assembling the album as if the music was played by a fictitious band, creates a truly coherent package.

Mmmmm. Actually now I think about it it is a rather an impressive achievement. Could it be?.....no surely not?.....but maybe it is the best album ever created? Hell even Ringo's song is worthy of a listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment