Thursday 30 August 2012

Lone Justice - Lone Justice

It would be a shame if most people's recollection of Maria McKee was from singing that song from the Tom Cruise film 'Days of Thunder'. It would indeed be a shame but I suspect that that is her destiny. Not that 'Show Me Heaven' is a bad song, its just that she has done so much more. She must have, otherwise why would Deacon Blue have written a song, and one of their biggest hits, about her?

Well before Tom Cruise appeared on the horizon, Maria McKee was the singer in this band. And when I say singer I mean SINGER! Boy can she sing - but be warned this is no quiet, delicate sound. This is a full on rock holler. For those who are unfamiliar with Lone Justice's sound I was going to describe it as county rockabilly. But that didn't really do it...ahem...justice. Then I came across the term cowboy punk on Wikipedia. Oh that is so much better. Just listen to 'Soap, Soup and Salvation' and you'll see why.

Maybe she regrets the huge success of 'Show Me Heaven' or maybe she doesn't. I'm sure at the time she had no idea it was going to define her career as much as it did. This was, after all, just a song for a movie. But I guess, at the end of the day, any success is welcomed no matter how much it shapes the future....it's just a shame is was for such a shonky movie!






No comments:

Post a Comment