Saturday 25 August 2012

San Francisco Days - Chris Isaak

Cheated. That's how I felt when I first learnt that Chris Isaak was not the lead guitar player on 'Wicked Game'. That lovely clean tremelo sound was not him but another guitarist. Mind you it wasn't as if he'd mimed or anything, I'd just assumed that here was another singer, songwriter and guitarist.

But as my feeling of being cheated have way to disappointment I realised that I'd made up the rules to this game and hadn't bothered to tell anyone else. It wasn't his fault. How was he to know I'd decided he was the lead guitarist. So I let it go...well just about!

'San Francisco Days' is one of those imported albums into my/our collection. And very welcome it is too. A solid album with some great rock-a-billy, flamenco, blues and jazz kinda songs.

The title track moves along smoothly and sets the tone and standard for the rest of the album. But the highlight has to be 'Two Hearts'. A simple yet great ballad with lovely guitar playing from James Calvin Wilsey.

Ah so that's who it was on 'Wicked Game'. The quiet guitar hero, or in my misguided case, the imposter!


No comments:

Post a Comment