Monday 27 August 2012

Saints & Sinners - All Saints

Try as I might, I can't think of any justification for liking this album. And I really, really wanted to. I racked my brain for a plausible excuse for a sudden lapse of indie-senses. Maybe the guitar on one of the tracks was by a respected indie-rocker? Could it be that some of the songs were written by one of the members of Blur? Or was it that the producer happened to be good mates with Johnny Marr. It was none of those things. I was wasting my time. The raw and ugly fact is that I just like it.

I like it's unabashed popness. I like the hit singles 'Pure Shores' and 'Black Coffee'. I like the production. And I like the vocals. Hell I even like the album cover. I'm doomed.

That's the beauty of pop music though - it knows no boundaries. It doesn't care if you're a dyed-in-the-wool metal head, indie-kid, rocker or roller. Whoever you are there will be a song out there with your name on it and as soon as you are within earshot, your credibility is a dead as corduroy.

I think I am more susceptible than most though. I've had more than may fair share of bullets. Whether it be 'Sweet Dreams ( My L.A Ex)' , 'Spinning Around', 'Back To Life' or 'Point of View' I'm right in the firing line. I must have a huge target painted on my forehead.

But I really don't mind. Music continues to fascinate, excite, repel and uplift me and for that I'm truly grateful. After all without some form of emotional response, either negative or positive, where would we be? Exactly.


No comments:

Post a Comment