Thursday 9 August 2012

Acid Tongue - Jenny Lewis

I consider Jenny Lewis to be one of my greatest musical 'discoveries'. Mind you I'm sure she was doing just fine before I started buying her records.

Anyway, as I've mentioned previously, it was an appearance on Jools Holland that led me to this album. And it is indeed a fine album. The standout track must be the multi-sectioned 'The Last Messiah'. It's a great song that goes from strength to strength and, just as you think it's about to end.... I won't spoil the surprise. Or maybe I just did?

Then there is the great acoustic ballad of the title track. Superb harmonies and a fab lyric. Add to this an appearance by Elvis Costello on 'Carpetbaggers, the Tex-mex pop of 'See Fernando' and the beautiful closing song 'Sing A Song For Them' and you have a near perfect album. If any criticism can be levelled at the album its that it doesn't know what style to settle for. But surely that's a bit churlish - like criticising an ice cream parlour for having too many flavours.

Speaking of which, this album, perhaps unusually, reminds me of Madeira. Not the sticky sweet wine but the island it comes from. For no other reason other than that the album was released just before our holiday there do it was on constant loop on my personal music player.

So I can't help hear the opening bars of the acoustic ballad 'Acid Tongue' without imagining warm sunshine, blue seas, a crazy hotel proprietor (who would give Basil Fawlty a run for his money) and a terrifying landing into Funchal Airport. For goodness sake, whose idea was it to build a runway on stilts in the ocean?!!



No comments:

Post a Comment