Wednesday 29 February 2012

New Gold Dream - Simple Minds

In an earlier blog I put forward the argument that the quality of early Simple Minds releases far eclipsed those of their Irish counterparts, U2. It was, in my opinion, a well presented and erudite case. I could've saved myself the bother and just referred to this album. U2 have never come close to creating anything as pulsing, rhythmic, gracious or glorious as this - their world is too earnest, serious, and some might say pompous, to allow it.

I'm not even sure why the comparisons started - but it was a popular sport in the music press in the late 80s. A bit pointless really as they couldn't have been more different, other than both striving to perfect a stadium sound. But it didn't start there for Simple Minds nor should it end there.

I've seen Simple Minds a fair few times but I was lucky to see them they, as is popular these days, elected to perform this album in its entirety. We had already bought the tickets when I heard this was to be the case. DB was less impressed - after all this was the person who had played 'Live In The City Of Light' so much that the printed text had worn off the cassette. For me it was a great bonus - to hear their finest hour live. It didn't disappoint. As soon as the opening synth stab of 'Someone Somewhere In Summertime' started I was transported back to the mid-eighties and into the middle of a U2 vs Simple Minds argument. Ahh those were the days.

I think it's time there was a re-evaluation of those early albums; a reminder of how inventive, electronic and darn interesting they were. Maybe it'll end those pointless comparisons to U2? Nah!


No comments:

Post a Comment