Tuesday 28 February 2012

Grand Prix - Teenage Fanclub

There can be no better guitar pop albums than 'Grand Prix' by Teenage Fanclub. Combining west coast of America sounds with British pop sensibilities it is a classic in every sense of the word.

I've seen them live quite a few times, one of those already covered by a previous blog. The most recent time was in Newcastle and happened to be on the same night as the European Cup Final where Liverpool were taking on the mighty Milan.

So, as befitting a gig in Newcastle, we went for a few pints before the concert, and watched with glee as Liverpool totally stuffed up the match and went down three goals. They'd forgot to turn up. This was going to be a great night.

So with a spring in our step we headed off to the gig, disappointed in not being able to watch the rest of the match and the humiliation of Liverpool FC. Ah well.

The gig didn't start well - the sound was not up to much and it was only because I knew the songs that I could make out the guitar and vocals. They were in there somewhere. And then Norman Blake said something about congratulating Liverpool on a tremendous European Cup win. What!! How could that be? Milan were three goals up and cruising when we last saw the game. Surely we'd misheard that announcement? But no - it was repeated and the dismay and disappointment was overwhelming. It marred the rest of the gig. Spawny gets.

I know what you're thinking. Surely I should be supporting the British team? Where's my patriotism? I just don't buy that though and I have three cast iron reasons;

The first is that during the 80s everyone supported them - they were the glamour club - regardless of where you were from you had to like Liverpool. The second is that I am a Boro supporter and that means that in the domestic league I want every other club to fail at what they do. It's not rational, it's a competition thing. The third, and by far the most convincing argument, is that I am scarred by the scarcity of the Liverpool FC club badge sticker. When I was collecting Panini stickers in the 80s it was almost impossible to find. I think there must've been only a handful in the country. It cost me (well my parents) a fortune in stickers trying to hunt down the illusive badge. But to no avail. When one did come into circulation at school the bidding war was fierce and an astronomical amount of swaps were needed to acquire the badge. I did finally get one and complete my collection but there was a high price to pay - almost my entire swaps collection. Bloody Liverpool.

So back in planet pop, this album is great and just about removes the disappointment of that 'wonderful' comeback against Milan. There's not a duff track on here, from the jangly opener 'About You' to the thrash/acoustic of the closing 'Hardcore/Ballad'. And in-between the stand out tracks are 'Discolite' and 'Sparky's Dream. Wonderful stuff.

So if Panini ever decide to make a pop music sticker book, and what a great idea that would be, Teenage Fanclub surely would feature. I hope the that revenge is metered out by making the Teenage Fanclub sticker the rarest of the lot - providing I manage to get one that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment