Wednesday 22 February 2012

19 - Adele

The pop promotion machine is a very powerful force and like most powerful forces can be used for good or bad.

I usually try and form my own opinions but when something is pushed at you almost constantly you feel obliged to check it out.

So it was with this album by Adele. I regularly heard, from a wide array of sources, how good it was. So a respectful time after the hype died down I bought the album. Yes I own an Adele CD! Calm down, I'm not about to start enthusing over the relative merits of Rihanna or Jessie J - mostly because I've no idea what or who they are. Actually I'm exaggerating - "Umbrella, ella, ella". Whatever. But I had to know what the fuss was about and hear for myself whether the pop promotion machine had got it right....

...and actually it is a rather good album, soulful even. I was impressed by the off-kilter arrangements of some of the songs and when she decides to put a lid on the vocal histrionics it is evident that she can sing.

And there is a genuinely emotional and moving song on the album, 'Make You Feel My Love'. Written by Robert Zimmerman, the quality of the song writing shines along side Adele's truly mesmerising performance.

And boy did I play this album; cooking the tea - 19, installing a new OS - 19, washing the car - 19, walking to work - 19 and so on. So much that I reached saturation point and like a child who's gorged on chocolate, I can't face it anymore.

So you'll please excuse me if I sit this latest Adele love in out. I'll be back - probably just in time for her hardcore dance phase. Now wouldn't that be something?

No comments:

Post a Comment