Thursday 2 February 2012

All About Eve - All About Eve

Every now and again there is an event on Television that catches the whole nation's attention and becomes part of the national consciousness. Some of the more memorable events, for me at least, have centred around music.  The Sex Pistols acting 'outrageously' on Bill Grundy, Jools Holland swearing on The Tube and Donita Sparks from L7 going 'front bottom out' on The Word.

What do these TV moments have in common, apart from being based around music? I missed them all. Every single one. It is almost as if they waited until my back was turned before doing something memorable. How could I hold up my head in polite circles ever again? I could even develop a complex about this except.....

....In 1988 'Martha's Harbour' by All About Eve was rising up the charts and they were invited onto TOTP to perform the song. Or at least that was the plan. Instead the TV viewers were treated to the song's audio recording whilst the singer and guitarist band sat motionless on their stools in the TOTP studio. All very funny and embarrassing at the same time. But I WAS THERE TO SEE IT!! I saw it live on TV and I could now could hold my head up high in the 6th Form cafeteria as I had witnessed true television history first hand. It was a big deal. How could it not be? You can keep your moon landings and Berlin walls coming down - this was the real deal as it involved music, TOTP, embarrassment and the beautiful Julianne Regan.

The debut album is a strange affair; part goth, part whimsy, part rock and part pop. And I love it. I initially had this on cassette before upgrading to CD several years later. The hook was the superb single 'Wild Hearted Woman', but there are equally well crafted songs on there including the beautiful 'Matha's Harbour'. Unfortunately all I can see when I hear that song (yes I realise that is a strange statement)  is that blasted TOTP 'event'. Not so funny now...and I'm no longer desperate to see history as it happens. After all I can always re-watch it over and over on YouTube. Somehow that doesn't seem the same?



No comments:

Post a Comment