Sunday 5 February 2012

El Camino - The Black Keys

Time for a newie......

After nearly forty years of listening to and collecting music I am really pleased that it still manages to thrill and excite me. There really is nothing like hearing something new and it instantly connecting. The only difference now I suppose is that I can't rush round to a mates house clutching my new purchase whilst he puts it on his stereo and hopefully hears what I heard.

I used to do that quite a lot with NR and PW. It was reciprocated of course, with auditioning sessions of new music, be it vinyl, CDs, radio recordings or pieces taped from the TV. The Cult, Happy Mondays, Cinerama, The Cure, John Mellancamp and James were all introduced to me that way.

Hearing The Black Keys for the first time was one of those moments. I rushed out (well rushed to the PC anyway) to buy the album and excitedly put it on the stereo when it arrived. Yup I am one of those strange individuals who likes to buy the CD. I know I could've downloaded or steamed it instantly but there is nothing like owning something physical. And it didn't disappoint. What a fab album and has that 'rush round a mates house' quality in spades. Bluesy, rocky, foot tappin' and fresh yet slightly familiar.

I know they have been around a while but they had somehow totally passed me by. Not now though. If you were like me and have not heard anything by them then check out 'Lonely Boy', 'Stop Stop' or 'Money Maker'. Stunning. If you do though, be prepared to put on your shoes and dive out the house to play it for someone else. It really is that good!


No comments:

Post a Comment