Tuesday 14 February 2012

I'm With Stupid - Aimee Mann

Any record that starts with the lyrics "You f*cked it up. You should've quit
'Til circumstances had changed a bit" surely is deserving of attention! And that got me to thinking about great opening lines on albums, be they attention grabbers, thought provoking or just plain weird. So in no particular order, here are some of my favourites (and I'm doing these from memory so please go easy on me if they're not quite right);

  • "You said there's too much caffeine in your blood stream and a lack of real spice in your life"*
  • "In the next world war in a jackknifed juggernaut I am born again"
  • "I traded fame for love without a second thought. It's all a silly game, some things cannot be bought"
  • "I don't need to sell my soul, he's already in me"
  • "She's a good girl, loves her mamma, loves Jesus and America too"
  • "The time to rise has been engaged You're better best to rearrange. I'm talking here to me alone. I listen to the finest worksong"
  • "My mission drive is to open up my eyes. I don't care who wants to stare these days"
  • "Gadji beri bimbra clandridi. Lauli lonni cadori gadjam. A bim beri glassala" (not from memory!)

Guess which category that last one fits into!

Like those albums above, this one by Aimee Mann deserves further investigation. And if you do you'll be greeted by a rich mixture of guitar driven pop, intelligent lyrics and interesting musical arrangements. A thinking person's pop album - not something that perhaps would've been evident from the opening lyrical salvo.

* I know this isn't strictly the first vocal line but it is the first verse. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment