Sunday 8 July 2012

Tropical Brainstorm - Kirsty MacColl

There can't be many sun-soaked albums by British recording artists as good as this. We are not, after all, known for our sunny disposition. 'Tropical Brainstorm', however, manages to pull off a feat of sounding upbeat and distinctly Cuban whilst at the same time having an air of Britishness about it. Sunny on the outside but ever so slight ironic within. Sort of Madness meets Marley. I did say 'sort of'. As this was Kirsty's last recording before her death I always get a tinge of sadness when I listen to it. Undoubtedly her greatest recording yet one does wonder what the future would've held.....

But despite this, the sheer joy within the tracks transcends the circumstances and one can't help but smile, tap feet and chuckle to the lyrics. And the lyrics are fantastic. Try this for size, from 'In These Shoes?'

"I once met a man with a sense of adventure
He was dressed to thrill wherever he went
He said let's make love on a mountain top
Under the stars on a big hard rock
I said in these shoes? I don't think so"

Or this from 'England 2 Columbia 0'

"Oh you shouldn't have kissed me and got me so excited
And when you asked me out I really was delighted
So we went to a pub in Belsize park
And we cheered on England as the sky grew dark
Oh you shouldn't have kissed me cause you started a fire
But then I found out that you're a serial liar


You lied about your status
You lied about your life
You never mentioned your three children
And the fact you have a wife
Now it's England 2 Columbia 0
And I know just how those colombians feel"

She is sadly missed but listen to this album, raise a Cuba Libre and sing along to one of the best British albums ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment