Monday 30 July 2012

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

Occasionally a band will come along, with record in tow, that just seems to associate itself with a particular period or moment in life. And if that sounds a bit pretentious then I'll put it another way; this album doesn't half remind me of Christmas.

Which is why it feels odd lying here in the back garden, in the mid-summer sun, listening to an album whilst images of a crackling fire, friends round a table, and snow gently falling on the ground outside fill my head.

It is a lovely album; gentle, harmonious and earthy.... and Chritmassy. Or at least it is to me. Probably not what they had in mind when they recorded it in the summer of 2007 but there you are, such is the power of music and it's ability to attach itself to memories.

Blimey, there I go again. But if you would permit me just one more act of self indulgence I have to mention the cover art. Recognise it? Why of course it an extract from non other than Bruegel The Elder whose work I greatly admire, particularly for his ability to capture the bustle and complexity of everyday life.

Pretentious? Mois? Anyway all this talk of snow has given me a chill. Might need to go and get a jumper or at least some mulled wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment