Friday 13 July 2012

Love Over Gold - Dire Straits

Growing up we were all keen to explore our surroundings. More than most even. At first this was limited to defined geographical limits. "Don't go any further than the big road or the bottom of the big field" my Mam would say. Obviously this was tested a little as we gently pushed the limits of this arbitrary boundary. But usually these confines coincided with our available mode of transport; our feet. Then with the arrival of bicycles the roaming range grew. A lot. Not only could we go further but we could get there quicker. Pretty soon we were off exploring the far reaches of North Yorkshire and even got as far as The Lake District. Not without some accompanying pain though. But then with the availability, or at least access to, the motor car the possibilities were only limited by our imagination. Oh and petrol money.

Pretty soon heading off to the Lake District in a borrowed car became as natural as going to Middlesbrough for a bit of shopping. Come to think of it, I think that is where we usually told our parents we were going before heading off through Cumbria to Ambleside for the day. No wonder our parents cars totted up the miles between services so quickly!

But with this access came great responsibility; looking after the family vehicle. I was particularly careful as I knew how much it was relied upon for the smooth running of the household. I even helped to wash it - which on reflection was only fair as I was probably the one who got it mucky in first place!

Yes I was very careful.......except on one occasion. I can't remember where we had been, but I decided to take a short detour through Dalton Piercy on the way back home. 'Love Over Gold' was, at that time, the usual driving soundtrack of choice. And it was a perfect fit; guitar rock with anthemic and atmospheric music.

As we turned into the country lane from the A19 the guitar solo was reaching its crescendo as piece came towards it dramatic conclusion. With the great music, the fact that we had had a great day out and the beaming sunshine I came to the narrowing in the road. A car was coming in the opposite direction but I didn't slow. Instead I accelerated as I guessed that I could get there before he did, or at least if I didn't, he would stop and give way. I was wrong. On both accounts. This was going to be tight......

.....I soon discovered that the gap was not big enough for two cars, especially if you include their wing mirrors. CRACK!! I hit the brakes just in time for Mark Knopfler to conclude his guitar solo and for the wing mirror of my parents car to fly off into the bushes. I got out of the car and sheepishly approached the other, the owner of which was less than pleased as his wing mirror was also in tatters;

"I'd better take some details so I can report this to the police", I offered.
"No need", said the man, "I'm an off duty copper so consider it done...and you are a bloody idiot!"
Gulp!

I still blame, to this day, the rousing solo at the end of 'Telegraph Road'. At over 14 minutes long, it's all to easy to loose yourself. Some might argue that I shouldn't have been so reckless but that would be to underestimate the power of a good rock song whilst driving. I prefer to look at it from another perspective; if only we had got as far as the calmer 'Private Investigations' this incident might never have happened!

I don't think I came totally clean about the incident - probably placing more blame on the other driver than was warranted. But like I said, access to a vehicle came with great responsibility and to have this removed would've meant no more trips to the Lakes. Sometimes you just have to decide where your responsibilities lie!

No comments:

Post a Comment