Tuesday 10 July 2012

Howdy! - Teenage Fanclub

I'm sure I might have mentioned this once or twice, but how on earth are Teenage Fanclub not more widely listened to than they are? How can a band who puts together such glorious harmonies and guitar pop tunes not be at the top of everyone's list? Beats me but then what do I know?

Anyway, as I definitely mentioned a good few hundred blogs ago, albums almost always remind me of where I was when I bought them. Or, if you're Ian Brown where you were at. Either way, as this album was released on my birthday, it reminds me of turning 30. It was nice of the Fannies to help me celebrate a momentous occasion in my life by releasing an album for me to listen to. 

And what a great album it is; trademark harmonies, chiming guitars and top pop. It is really hard to pick favourites from an album where every track shines. But if you have to start somewhere try the opening track 'I Need Direction', 'Near You' or the wonderful 'Dumb Dumb Dumb'. If you like those then give 'Accidental Life', the driving pop of 'The Town and the City' or the thumping beat of 'Straight and Narrow'. For that matter try 'I Can't Find My Way Home', the slightly downbeat 'Happiness' or the smooth rhythm of 'Cul de Sac'. Actually 'The Sun Shines From You' is a great guitar pop song. Oh and I must mention the thoughtful 'My Uptight Life' and the beautiful closing track 'If I Never See You Again' with its simple but touching lyric "If I never see you again you will stay in my mind - We've only got a lifetime." So if I was asked then those are definitely my favourite tracks from the album. Oh....I seem to have listed them all.........






No comments:

Post a Comment