Wednesday 6 June 2012

Whatever's On Your Mind - Gomez

Uh-oh, I feel a soap box moment coming on..... yup here it comes....

How on God's blessed earth are Gomez not more revered than they are? I just don't understand it. Which bit of it do people just not get? The debut album was critically acclaimed and won the Mercury prize that year. So far so good. They released a solid follow up album. Big hurdle overcome. And live they are an absolute joy to watch. Another base ticked. So what gives? I've yet to meet a Gomez album I didn't like.

I remember reading a review of one of their earlier albums. The critic liked the album he was reviewing but added, almost apologetically, a comment to the effect that it was a shame it was by Gomez and not a more popular band. As if that would make the album better? Ahh well they'll just have to remain the best kept secret in pop.

'Whatever's On Your Mind' is an absolute stunner of an album. Brim full of pop hooks, jangling guitars and top tunes. Seriously, there are some ballads on here that would've had Gary Barlow in his prime go green with envy. And in case you were wondering, that was meant as a compliment. 'Song In My Heart' and 'The Place and the People' being just two of many on the album.

Ahh well, let them eat cake. Or listen to manufactured pop. In the meantime I can be smug knowing that I'm listening to one of the most original and talented pop bands in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment