Thursday 7 June 2012

All Mod Cons - The Jam

At the time this was released I was seven years old so paid it little notice - I was too busy collecting football stickers and Lego to be concerned about the Mod revival and socio-political pop songs. That would come later. Much much later - via The Beatles, Abba, Adam Ant, Howard Jones, Madonna and others. It was a tortuous route but I got there in the end. Sort of.

Even now I find it hard to take to any song that has a 'message' unless the music is well written. Music first, message second you might say.

Thankfully The Jam fit into this category; cracking music with great lyrics. Listening to this in the middle of 2012 it's hard to believe that it was written and recorded in 1978. It's a collection of tight, guitar driven pop music with heart, soul and social consciousness. With tracks like 'Down In The Tube Station At Midnight', 'English Rose' and 'To Be Someone' the pedigree is there to hear.

I don't want to sound like an old fart but I don't think there is a band active today to touch The Jam in their prime. Blast, I do sound like an old fart. But tell me I'm wrong!



No comments:

Post a Comment