Tuesday 26 June 2012

Everything That Happens Will Happen Today - David Byrne and Brian Eno

Stop me if you think that you've heard this one before. Yesterday I came perilously close to repeating myself. Very close indeed. Not that I am immune to this - I have quite often been stood in record shops starting at a CD. Static. To the observer it could appear as if my software had malfunctioned and frozen, just waiting for someone to press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart the malicious code. Whilst I would embrace the time when humans have integrated video cards, USB ports and upgradeable software, providing it wasn't written by Microsoft, this was not the reason. Mind you could you imagine if Microsoft won the contract for the operating system on Human 2.0? It would be a nightmare. Constant reboots, software updates, glitchy sub-systems and more off days from work due to increased virus activity. And don't even mention physical dumps. Urrgghh.

No, a much more plausible explanation for my static state was that I simply couldn't remember whether I had already bought the CD or not; staring at the case trying to remember the last time I saw it, did the sleeve look familiar or had I been here before - staring blankly at the CD desperately trying to recall the vital piece of information?

So it may come as no surprise then that after 261 blogs I can't remember what I have already mentioned, which stories I have told or whether I'm treading down overly familiar paths. I almost did it today as well as I was going to start a discussion about how seeing David Byrne perform live was one of the highlights of my gig-going career. But I've already done that. If you wan't to check it was the 15 February 2012.

Memory is a beautiful but fragile thing. With the advent of downloadable music it's getting more difficult. A quick press of a button (after entering a whole plethora of personal information) and the album is 'there'. On your hard-drive. No waiting. No staring into space.

And so it was with 'Everything That Happens Will Happen Today'. A quick click. And hey presto. But years down the line I just know I'll be looking at a physical version of this album and wondering, once again, whether I already own it.

So roll on the day when we have hard drives installed, can store databases with terabytes of data and carry around our entire music collection in our heads. The danger of repeating ourselves and buying duplicate CDs gone forever. Mmmm maybe not if Microsoft have anything to do with it. They're bound to louse it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment