Friday 22 June 2012

The Cole Porter Songbook Volume One - Ella Fitzgerald

Ohhh I don't fell at all well. A little bit queasy and nauseous. I can't imagine what it can be.... oh wait....ah yes I know what it is. I've overdosed on rock. Yesterday's Springsteenfest; four or five albums followed by a storming 3h 15min concert was great but I think I've overdone it. If I hear another song in 4/4 time I'm going to hurl.

I'd better find some medication......dance - nah too loud.....folk - maybe a bit earnest.....classical - nope, ain't gonna cut it...ahh wait, what's this? Yes this will do nicely. The soothing jazz voice of Ella is just the trick to temper those rock over-indulgences.

This was one of those albums that was imported into my life through relationship and I'm all the better for it. I don't think otherwise I would have even contemplated the benefits of a great jazz record. It was far too sophisticated for my rock and indie palette. So it arrived sort of by stealth; with songs appearing on compilation tapes that were given to me, tracks played in the background whilst we ate and hummed when they appeared on film soundtracks.

I wouldn't say I was an expert but if this album is anything to go by, these songs are timeless and will be around for ever. 'Miss Otis Regrets', 'Too Darn Hot' and 'Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye' must be amongst the best ever written. Whether you agree or not this album has helped clear the rock from my system, for now at least, and that can only be a good thing. Every medicine cabinet should have one. The Alka-Seltzer of the music world.


No comments:

Post a Comment