Wednesday 6 June 2012

Long Live the King - The Decemberists

Monday 3 June 2012

You may not believe this, but I had it all worked out. You see we are away on holiday so I knew that listening to an album a day and writing a blog about it was going to be tough. So I'd prepared a listening list; I knew exactly what I was going to listen to, on which evening and what I was going to write about. Well in general terms anyway. So with my MP3 player poised to play today's pre-programmed offering I was ready. It was comforting in an odd sort of way.

Then, as we were sitting down to our evening meal in the hostel at Pen-y-Pass this album started playing. So as we tucked into chicken curry, supped on a pint and watched the sun set on Snowdonia (yes - sun!) it was hard not to immediately like this album. But who was it? It's hard to write a blog when you haven't a clue what's playing. I could, I suppose, have winged it. Made it all up on the spot (you mean you don't already do this?.....) but that would not be true to the spirit of the whole venture. And if the whole point of this crazy project is to recall and attach memories to music that I have listened to then surely something like this can't be ignored? This is a living and breathing memory. Fresh from creation. The sounds, smells and surroundings of a brief sojourn to Snowdonia. So a brief chat with the cook and all was revealed. It was the latest offering from The Decemberists. Now forever linked to Snowdonia, sun sets and chicken curry.

How could it not be my album of the day?

No comments:

Post a Comment