Monday 9 April 2012

Revelation Road - Shelby Lynne

I don't think I have ever seen a performer more angry and moody as Shelby Lynne when she appeared at Middlesbrough Town Hall earlier this year. She was angrier that John Lydon and Miles Hunt put together. I would go as far as to say that if they came across her when she was like this they, terrified for their own safety, would've quietly sloped off to avoid further scorn. Ooh she was in a mood. But why?

Maybe she had just heard some bad news or lost some money on the 2:15 at Wetherby. Perhaps she'd misplaced her favourite jumper and was struggling in the inclement northern weather? Or had she baked some scones only to find out that they were over cooked? Maybe all of the above? But I don't think so.

I have a sneaking suspicion that she was dismayed to be standing on a tiny stage in Middlesbrough whilst fifty people or so looked on. I think I was as surprised as her that she was playing a tiny venue in the Boro. I was equally surprised to be able to get tickets just a week or so before the gig. Something or, perhaps more accurately, someone had cocked up. Big time. I imagine the fury that was visible on stage was aimed at someone..... and being on the receiving end would not have been pleasant.

Still, as a consummate professional, she delivered the set with great passion and playing. And what a voice. Her records don't do it justice. Crystal clear, powerful and with great depth. Songs from this album, and some earlier tracks, really came to life. Amazing.

Just as impressive is this album. Shelby wrote and played almost very instrument on it. Covering very personal topics it's not a party album but it is beautifully moody and melancholic.

Speaking of moody, I hope that her mood improved for the following gigs - and that whoever had upset her was well out of range when she finished the set. I didn't hear any press reports of disturbances in the Teesside area so perhaps things had improved.....

No comments:

Post a Comment