Wednesday 18 April 2012

Golden Ocean - 50ft Wave

I like think that I'm, if not a model employee, then I am at least loyal. Well a little bit anyway. I think. So far I've only had four employers and, ignoring the year I spent training, the shortest time I have been with any one of those is five years. I'm not after an award or anything but I know colleagues that have changed jobs almost as many times as they have changed their underpants. In some cases that may not be a truly useful measure but for those who personal hygiene is important that's a lot of job changes. I really don't know anyone who changes job regularly copes. It seems to me that I'm just getting settled and used to my surroundings when I pass the four year anniversary of my employment. It takes me at least a year to remember the names of my colleagues so I can only begin to imagine the chaos that would ensue if I were to change jobs more frequently. I'd probably end up travelling to the wrong office at least once a week; probably a Monday morning when I'm more bleary eyed and less enthusiastic about the week ahead.

So against this backdrop, moving jobs for me is quite traumatic; traumatic because I'm about to enter a new working environment and meet new colleagues but also traumatic because what if we have nothing in common? It's true that we Civil Engineers are not exactly a gregarious bunch but we are a little odd. We must be to do what we do....

For a self confessed music obsessive there is only really one thing that matters when meeting new colleagues. Do they like music? Or more accurately do they like 'proper' music? Or to be pin-point, laser guided, hole-in-one accurate, do they like the music that I like? And it doesn't take me long to find out. I have a knack for guessing what kind of music people listen to. The clues are everywhere. It has become such a honed skill that I can identify what their listening tastes are just by looking at their clothing - I once identified a Genesis fan just from the type of jumper they were wearing. I should go on the stage I really should.

So when in 2002, in the middle of the World Cup, I arrived at City of York Council music was occupying my mind rather than football. Despite the office being football mad, it didn't take me long to identify a kindred spirit. JW, it transpired, was a fan of The Smiths, Cure, Throwing Muses, New Order........ and we were soon swapping and recommending music. Yes I was going to be alright at my new home.

50ft Wave were a band that JW 'discovered' and recommended, knowing that I was a fan of American Alt-Rock. But blimey this is one angry record. The preceding EP sort of hinted at a fury, but the album is full-on, don't mess with me, I'll break your bones kind of anger. Indeed, as one particular lyric suggests, "Bones are made for breaking". Yikes! With heavily distorted guitars and half-shouted vocals it's not an album to help you drift off to sleep, play at dinner parties or use as music in a shopping mall. I'm even not entirely sure it was ideal listening this morning at 6:45am. Healthier than a shot of coffee though. But I like it and as soon as I find someone who I know will appreciate it, I'll pluck up the courage and recommend it.... after all that is what friends are for.




No comments:

Post a Comment