Wednesday 4 April 2012

Full Moon Fever - Tom Petty

I've never really got Tom Petty. Or rather I should say that I have never really understood why him and his band The Heartbreakers are so revered by music critics. Perhaps it's because I never really understood American rock. There are a few artists that have made it through; Bruce Springsteen and..... err Bruce Springsteen. But the rest leave me cold.....

...except for this album. 'Full Moon Fever' is the exception that proves the rule. Actually, I've never really understood that phrase either. Why would an exception prove a rule? Doesn't it just prove that the rule is not perfect and has been broken? I can't imagine that argument holding much water in a court of law. "Well your Honour, my client was stealing that car but I'm sure you'll agree that it was an exceptional case that was proving the rule". Banged to rights. But I digress. Well actually it was a deliberate attempt to fill up some pixels because I can't think of a single thing to say about this album other than I like it, and always have since hearing 'Free Fallin'' on the radio. How could you not like this song, with it's distinctive opening chords and lyrics. 'Running Down A Dream' and 'I Won't Back Down' are equally polished radio friendly unit shifters.

Or maybe nearly six months in I'm getting writers block. Wouldn't that be cool?

One thing that does strike me about this recording, other than the no-nonsense, focussed songs are examples of classic American rock, is that it is sometime difficult to distinguish between Tom Petty and other Wilbury's music. Even on this album, the fingerprints of Jeff Lynne are all over the recording. It's almost as if the Traveling Wilbury DNA is fused into the record. Even George Harrison pops up on a track. No Bob Dylan though. He must have had the day off.

I have tried to like other Tom Petty albums but I just don't get it. Perhaps he should go back and re-record them with Jeff Lynne as the producer. Might work. Still, there are plenty of artists whose music I can't stand, not even one record, so Tom is streets ahead on that score. Maybe one day it will just click. But for now I am content to like this album.



No comments:

Post a Comment