Thursday 12 April 2012

The Airborne Toxic Event

If you were going to think up a band name then there can't be many better than The Airborne Toxic Event. Only bettered by 'The Lemon Squeezy Goat Scrubbers'. Except if your job is to design clothing for these bands. You're gonna need a pretty big t-shirt to fit those names on!

Although time had dulled my memory, I seem to recall that 'The Lemon Squeezy Goat Scrubbers' were a bit hit at 6th Form. Then again my memory is not what it used to be! But who could forget their cover of U2's 'Silver and Gold'. It was it the Dublin quartet were right in front of you. Except U2 didn't do mimes to the sing lyrics. They were missing a trick there me thinks. Can you imagine just how much more emotion could've been wrung out of 'With Or Without You' if Bono had accompanied the song with a short mine. Wow!

Anyway, this album was a bit of a surprise hit with me - I was not expecting to like it. Mainly due to my prejudice about anything that I haven't found out for myself and.....well that was it really. It still has a faint whiff of American college rock but that didn't do my beloved R.E.M. any harm. The real stormers are 'Gasoline' and the closing 'Innocence'.

So before they decided to change their name check out Toxic Airborne Event. Marvel at how original the name is and thank whoever you hold in high enough esteem that you're not a merchandise makers. How on earth is that going to fit on a skinny T-Shirt?

No comments:

Post a Comment