Tuesday 15 May 2012

Revival - Gillian Welch

Being off work ill is a strange sensation. Putting to one side the actual illness, which in my case a virus has decided to visit for a while, and there remains an odd feeling - a feeling like I have temporarily withdrawn from the everyday. Sitting in bed, sipping water, listening to music and observing. Observing everyone else going about their routine; taking kids to school, delivering letters, cleaning windows, working in the garden, coming home. Everyday activities. Normal. Being off work ill is not normal. And I'm thankful for that.

The alternative would be that being away from work is instead part of the routine and the everyday. Without the framework of work then what would be the alternative. Yet this is the reality than more and more of us are having to face.....ahhh listen to me - that's the virus talking.

Pretty soon I'll be back to full strength and ready to return to work. It's someone else's turn to be off work ill. They can sit in their beds, staring out of the window, listening to people passing by and wondering "where are they going?", "where have they been?" and "I wonder if it's cold out?". Still, there's some time yet. Enough time to give 'Revival' another listen whilst the everyday world turns a little more without me.....



No comments:

Post a Comment