Tuesday 8 May 2012

Cosmic Thing - The B-52's

I was a bit of a latecomer to the B-52's. I'd heard, like probably every other self-respecting music fan, 'Rock Lobster' and had dismissed it as a bit of a novelty. Then rest of their releases passed me by.

That was until I heard 'Love Shack' for the first time, or rather saw trh video on MTV. Day-glo pop. And boy was it fun. I was also became a floor filler at the alternative night at the Gemini in Hartlepool and in doing so confirmed my suspicions that Goths really prefer being happy. It was also a great excuse to dance wildly, hand and arms flailing around. Not that I needed an excsuse mind you - I had be known to do this to this to every other song. It didn't really matter if it was appropriate or not. 'Losing My Religion' was one of my favourites as if Michael Stipe had been temporarily relocated to downtown Hartlepool.

Yes 'Love Shack' remains a firm favourite. They would prove that it was no fluke in a follow up single 'Roam'. Another slice of 50s inspired alt-pop. Although these two are by far the best tracks on the album, the rest follows in a similar vein; putting the 'fun' back into fun-tastic (sorry!). Even now, many years on, 'Love Shack' still has the ability to fill the dance floor, be it at weddings, social gatherings or birthday parties. Surely that is the mark of a great song. And yes you will find me there - just make sure to give me plenty of room!


No comments:

Post a Comment