Sunday 20 May 2012

The 50/50 Tour EP - Gus Devlin & The Resistance

I'm nothing if not adaptable - I consider it to be one of my strengths. It has been, it must be said, tested on many occasions; sometimes over trivial matters and othertimes over huge, life changing decisions such as those relating to the choice of decorating materials. It's not uncommon for us to spend hours of heated debate and indecision whilst looking at colour charts, only to arrive in the shop and find another paint on special offer; changing tact in a blink of an eye and ignoring hours of discussion. Well a bargain is bargain.

So I was planning to write a blog about The Housemartins today. That was my plan. It was a good plan and not without merit. I'd even planned, albeit roughly, what I was going to talk about. My plan was planned. But, like all good plans, it changed. The reason behind this plan was that I knew that we were going to see Paul Heaton in concert and, therefore, a blog about his first band seemed wholly appropriate. Obviously I was hoping to insert some humorous anecdote from the concert into the writing..... but you can't beat relying on something happening for it to not happen. I'd even pre-loaded my iPod so I could select an album on the journey home to write about. So I was all set. I knew where I was going and how I was going to get there and what I was going to do when I got there. A perfect plan.

That all changed though when the gig, in the small village of Clovenfords, started. You see I wasn't prepared to be bowled over by the support band. But music is a strange mistress and leads you into unexpected territory, diverts you from your route and generally leads you on a merry dance. Although only two of the band members had chosen to accompany Paul on his 50/50 tour (one where they are cycling between gigs and reaching as far north as Ullapool in celebration his 50th birthday), they created a great sound. Just a voice, double bass and acoustic guitar. Part blues, part folk and part bluegrass and a whole lotta fun. And they ran the merchandise stall. Is there no end to their talents?

So I came away from the gig with two of their EPs, tired feet and a slice of Paul Heaton's birthday cake. Yes cake! There's not many gigs where you can claim that now is there? I am aware, however, that I still need to write the Housemartin's blog but I'll save that for another day. Or at least that's the plan.


1 comment: