Thursday 4 October 2012

Lifes Rich Pageant - R.E.M.

The world has become obsessed by lists. They're everywhere. Here there and everywhere. Want to know the nation's favourite cereals? No problem there is a list for that. Have you ever wondered which towns have the most number of roundabouts? Of course you have. Don't worry I'm sure Google can furnish you with a list for that. I've not checked obviously. Hey quiet at the back! Nowhere is this more prevalent than in the music press.

I used to enjoy reading Q Magazine, for example, when it was cool to do so but it became increasingly obsessed with lists. Top 100 this. Top 100 that. Month after month of lists. Lazy journalism but here's the thing - I became really engrossed. Absorbed. Fascinated. But like a kid on a sugary diet I realised that, in the long run, it was doing me no good. So what if I knew what the top 100 album covers were. Of all time. Was it moving my knowledge of music forward? Would it help develop my appreciation of the finer points of pop? Was world peace going to be guaranteed? No, no and definitely no.

So I stopped taking notice. It at least I tried. Honestly I did. But I think I'm addicted. I love lists; creating them, finessing then discussing them with any unsuspecting person who happens to be within earshot. Whether they like it of not.

I'm afraid that I'm a hopeless case. So here's one for you. Which ten albums have the best opening two tracks? Don't ask my why two. It just is. That's the beauty of lists - you can define then any which way you like. So go on then. What should the list look like? No peeking until you've finished yours......but without further ado here's the answer;

1/. Lifes Rich Pageant - R.E.M.
2/. Revolver - The Beatles
3/. The Queen Is Dead - The Smiths
4/. Hounds of Love - Kate Bush
5/. The Joshua Tree - U2
6/. Graceland - Paul Simon
7/. Build A Rocket Boys - Elbow
8/. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
9/. Love - The Cult
10/. The Bends - Radiohead

Why 'Lifes Rich Pageant'? I'm surprised to had to ask. But as you did politely then it sims because 'Begin The Begin' and 'These Days' are two of R.EM.'s best tracks. No mean feat. But it's such a perfect album that if you were to ask me to compile a list of the albums with the best three, four, five, six opening tracks this would appear at the top each and every time. And whilst the list above could change over time this album would always top the chart. Each and every time. 'Superman', 'Fall On Me', 'I Believe' and the wonderful 'Flowers of Guatemala'

So there you go. Aren't lists great? Just be careful not to let them take over your life. Don't let a good list get in the way of the everyday. Ohhh here's a good one - top ten ways to waste your time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment