Monday 8 October 2012

Band on the Run - Wings

There aren't many songs that lend themselves to dramatisation but that is exactly what 'Band on the Run' does, or at least it did to a Beatles obsessed ten year old.

For some reason dancing never seemed natural to me - somehow my legs interpreted my mindful intentions in a contradictory way. It could be that my ambition far outmatched my ability but I rather suspect that it was that I was just no good at it no matter what level I aimed for. This is obviously not the case now!

Anyway, 'Band On The Run' did not lend itself to high NRG disco accompaniment. No it was, or so I thought, much more suited to interpretation through mime. I forget the grizzly details but to simulate a band on the run one would imagine that more than one participant was needed. So, much to her horror, I enrolled my younger sister into the troupe. The stage was set, the record queued and light dimmed. We were off! Like I said, I have forgotten the exact details of the routine - probably expunged from my memory to limit future damage. Thank goodness we didn't have YouTube in 1979 as I'm sure I would have felt proud enough of my creation to film and upload it for all to see.

As for the album? Well it was something of an early post-Beatles high point for Macca. Not only is the title track a mini-epic, there are also great singles in 'Jet' and 'Mrs Vandebilt'.

Funnily, or thankfully, I've never felt the urge to dramatise any other songs, but if anyone from the BBC reads this and fancies a new form of reality TV shown just drop me a line. I may just be persuaded out of retirement!

No comments:

Post a Comment